Tuesday, February 23, 2021

The Gathering of Heroes

 The Gathering of Heroes

Imagine if you could get the old adventuring party back together? The one from back in the day for a grand weekend of gaming. Many will have lost their characters from years ago so we just digress and all remake level 10 (or whatever level you stopped at back in the day) versions of our favorite characters or ideal characters from who they are now! Hell if many of you became successful, you could rent out a cabin in the wilderness to do this. Perhaps you could make this a yearly event? The adventure wouldn't just be a normal Adventure but time of great peril! These characters would have to come out of retirement in order to save the day. If you could do this in a cabin in the wilderness you could actually have a marathon session like you did back in school! Can you imagine the level fun you could have what you know now in the game in the style of back then? Imagine doing this with the 5th Edition rules as easy and smooth as they play? If you can make that happen with the old Gaming group and get together at least once a year so you don't forget who you are then do so.

I have tried it on and off for the last 20 years at least 5 to 10 times. I'd either get no response or very vague answers.

So should I try to do it again?

P.S. At this point in time I wrote this blog post a month or two ago, and pretty much I don't really feel like trying it again but if you make it happen, let me know. See it almost happened again. We had a place to play and the universe itself in the form of a hurricane ruined that potential place to play. 

2 comments:

  1. Many years back we did the cabin in the woods for a long weekend of RPGs and hanging out. It was fun to get the old high school D&D gang back together but the dynamic was different. Not bad, but odd. I think that was 20 years ago now? I still chit chat with a few of the folks now and again, but i don't think another gaming weekend would work out and we like each other. But from what you've written I can't see that it would be even remotely fun.

    These days my house group (which is remote because you know, pandemic) is talking about having a cabin weekend - because it would be a little vacation for the folks with kids and a nostalgia blast. But most of us are olds now ... the idea of staying up until 2am KILLS me just thinking about it :)

    PS - hope things are going better for you. since the reevaluation posts (and sorry to hear about your dad).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My original group was my little brother and my two best friends. One of the friends passed away when I was in college, and the other suffers from serious chronic illness. My brother stopped gaming when I went to college. So not much chance of that. Once, when I was visiting the U.S. (and before the chronic illness developed), my best friend and I did do something like this. We had to recruit a few new people, but I rolled out my old game, he played one of his old characters, and it was pretty fun. But it was just one evening.

    Maybe I could get my old post-college group together for something like this, I'm friends with most of them on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete